Samsaren and his squire (Courtesy of Samsaren)

The heavy rhythmic ringing of forge hammers echo dully as an older human warrior stands in a side room of a smithy examining his armor. As he runs roughened hands across his shield, noting the wear and tear of battle, another human strides into the room. Plate clad, with honey hair still tussled from a helmet the new arrival is clearly fresh from the field.

“Looking a little worse for wear Sir, what dinged up the armor this time,” asks the new arrival as he sets his helmet down and looks carefully at the pavise shield currently under repair.

With a deep sigh the older human adjusts the grip on his forging hammer, “Its Sam, just plain old Sam, Eckan.” Glancing up from his work he gives the young man a wry smile, “When I took you on as a squire, that was the deal, remember?”

Chuckling, Samsaren runs his free hand across a dent in the shield, “To answer your question, this dent is an Arkarm’s khuj, and I’m fairly sure this one is from his helmeted head.”

Clearing his throat, he lays his tools down before turning to the other Paladin. “The reason I called you in was to pass along warning. It looks like War is coming to our lands again, and I wanted to make sure you’re prepared.Spare weapons, or shields,” he says sparing a quick glance at the anvil for emphasis. “If you need it, just hollar.”

Resting his hands on his belt Eckan looks thoughtful for a moment, “What about the Militias, I understand the Therengians are offering assistance”.

Samsaren gives a quick nod. “I’ve heard the same, and the folks in Zoluren are gearing up as well. More interesting to me is the Arkarm’s have offered to lend assistance. I’m sure there’s a price, but as long as its reasonable, well, they ARE a formidable force.”

Eckan gazes at Samsaren on the verge of disbelief, “But Sam, I thought you fought them, not…”

Sam sighs, “Oh yes, I stand against them. I don’t hunt them indiscriminately, its not my way, but if they look to cause trouble I’ll take up arms against them. That, however, is also my point, they’re potent enough that it requires a great deal of effort of some of the more powerful folks around to put a dent in them. I’d really not want a force like that opening another front when I’m fully engaged against Alret and his ilk.”

“I understand your point, though I’m betting that you get some resistance on that theory,” Eckan says, nodding slowly. “I shall prepare myself for the troubles ahead.”

Samsaren smiles, nodding to Eckan, “Good. You’re welcome to fight at my side when things come to a head, the faster we can end things, the less the land and people suffer under the burden of conflict.”

Samsaren picks his tools back up, and begins to examine the shield again, “Until then however, don’t neglect your studies. And if you can spare a moment, Pray. We can use all the help we can get.”

Nodding to the forge, Samsaren smiles briefly, “Say, mind stoking the fire? Once I finish this, we’ll take a look at your gear as well.” The Paladins then settle into the work of forging, and the clear ringing sound of a hammer upon steel again fills the room.

No comments:

Post a Comment