Patron and Squire, Forging Again (Courtesy of Samsaren)

A steady summer rain falls on the cobblestones, giving everything a slick shine in the torchlight.  The flames of the torches themselves gutter and spit in protest as the weather slowly turns worse.  Clad in a rain-soaked cloak, an older Paladin approaches the Forging Society Building, exposed bits of armor gleaming wetly in the limited light.

Heading deeper into the forge, guided by the unmistakable sound of hammer on steel, the Paladin arrives finally in one of the forges.  A quick glance around the gaethzen lit room shows a rack thoughtfully set near the forges heat for drying wet clothes.  With a grateful sigh the man, now very much the younger of the two in spite of his own hard earned age, sets his cloak to dry.  “Thanks,” he says, turning to the smith.

“Oh sure, I had a feeling you’d drop by, we’re due as it were”, Samsaren replies with a smile, turning the piece over on the anvil with his tongs.  A few careful pounds to finish shaping the metal, and he dunks the piece into the quenching tub, which gives an evil hiss and sets the water bubbling briefly.  “I take it you got my note then?”



Nodding slowly, Eckan approaches the tub, glancing briefly inside, “I did at that.  And I must say, before we go to that subject it always surprises me to see you working on something as mundane as a shovel.

Chuckling softly Samsaren smiles, “Effort spent for the need of another is rarely wasted Squire.  That and I find solace in simple work.”  Samsaren then nods towards the forge where a handful of lumium ingots are slowly heating, “That and it fills the time nicely.”  Eckan nods, a light of understanding in his eyes before Samsaren continues, “Anywho..  I wanted you to hear from me first, I invited Synamon to join my family, small as it is, and was happily surprised when she accepted.  My Brother Maltris did the same.”

Eckan leans backwards a bit in surprise, eyes thoughtful “I thought you and Maltris were brothers in name already?”  Samsaren slowly shakes his head, “No, we swore an oath oh so many years ago.  Now we’re Brothers in name, as well as honor.”

“And Synamon?  Isn’t that courting trouble a bit Sam?” Eckan asks, while removing his armor and grabbing a heavy apron and forging tools.

“Maybe my friend, maybe.  I am of the mind it’s effort well spent though.  Synamon’s always been a dear friend, even when we were at odds due to issues of family and cause.  Though I imagine your countrymen won’t be overly thrilled with me.”  Samsaren chuckles with a rueful smile.  Removing the cooled shovel head from the tub and reaching for a pole to finish the task he continues, “My offer to you still stands by the way, now that you know who else I’ve extended it to.”

Eckan nods again, a serious expression on his face.  “I have been giving it some thought of late,” As he speaks he uses his tongs to move one of the heated lumium ingots to the anvil, setting aside a handle for the sipar to come.  “I’ve also decided I’ll accept.”

Samsaren smiles broadly, setting the new finished shovel in a stack with its order mates “Excellent!  I’m glad to hear it.  I shall make arrangements with Sendithu’s Factor and we’ll handle business straight away.”  Reaching across the anvil, unconcerned about the hot metal upon it, and clasps Eckan’s forearm firmly in a warrior’s handshake.  “It will be an honor to count you among my slowly growing family.”  With a firm nod, Samsaren then glances down at the ingot, “Well then, now that we’ve got business out of the way, I’ll start here, and you can start on the other fella, and we’ll meet in the middle.  Don’t forget about the…”

Samsaren continues on, offering tips and pointers as Eckan takes up tools and begins working side by side with his Patron.  The heavy rain continues to fall, as the Paladins work on oblivious to its cold soak, safely in the warmth of the forge.

No comments:

Post a Comment